Monday, January 3, 2011

charity: water

Right now, almost a billion people on the planet don’t have access to clean, safe drinking water. That’s one in eight of us.

It seems that majority of my friends these days are involved in some sports event.  Whether it is running, biking, triathlons, fitness modeling, everyone is super active and continuously pushing themselves.  Many of my friends participates in Team in Training, which raises money for cancer research for sporting events.  While I would love to do TNT, the practices conflict with my school schedule in the evenings.  So I pondered, what could I do in support of my athletic events?

The answer came to me in the form of my lovely friend, Julie Rossman.  Julie trains for fitness competitions and is incredibly healthy and obsessed with water.  Truly.  She found a foundation called charity: water which provides clean water to those who otherwise would not have it.  $5 provides 1 person with clean water.  Just $5!  Your morning Starbucks could provide someone with clean water.

charity: water is a non-profit organization bringing clean, safe drinking water to people in developing nations. 100% of public donations directly fund sustainable water solutions in areas of greatest need. Just $20 can give one person clean water for 20 years.  More info here.

As an athlete, I know and appreciate the need for clean water.  Before, during and after a workout, hydration is a must.  So I want to call attention to this often-overlooked comfort.  Clean water. 

My goal is to raise $500 by August 14, 2011, the day of my race. 
http://mycharitywater.org/stephlovescleanwater

No comments: